First of all, I have to excuse myself to the virtual world for my absence. Life got a little busy the past week with moving the boat from Greece to Italy, but we are lucky enough that we got to share this experience with friends who have never been on a yacht before so it was a lot of fun.
In my down time, I tend to take it easy on the cooking and the meals I whip up, but sometimes with a sweet craving, there’s just nothing like a fresh batch of something homemade.
My absolute go-to to curb my sugar craving is a flourless peanut butter cookie that takes about 5 minutes to prepare and just 10 to bake. It’s relatively mess and fuss-free so what more could you want?!
I’m a little bit obsessed with peanut butter. I don’t think a day goes by where I don’t consume any at all, so there’s multiple reasons that these really are my favourite cookies. I started out making them peanut butter and double chocolate, but recently tried them with a swirl of raspberry jam in place of the chocolate and I honestly couldn’t pick a winner, so I will give both variations below.
I generally make one type at a time but last time couldn’t decide what I felt like so split the mixture into two bowls and made half and half.
Next time you’re craving sugar, give this a go:
You will need:
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter (I use 100% peanuts and crunchy for texture but smooth is fine too)
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2t Baking Soda
- 1t Vanilla Extract
- Sea Salt
- 1/3C Cacao Powder
- 1/2 Bar 70% Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Raspberry Jam
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together your peanut butter, maple syrup and coconut sugar either by hand or with an electric mixer until fully combined.
- Add the baking soda and vanilla and stir again, followed by the egg.
- Making sure the mixture is all combined, now it’s time for your add ins.
- For the chocolate, pour in the cacao powder and stir lightly until you have a chocolate swirl, then add in your chocolate pieces and fold lightly.
- For the raspberry, add the jam and swirl into the mixture.
- Carefully spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, ensuring you leave space between each ball as the mixture will spread in the oven.
- Press down lightly with a fork and place in the centre of your oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- They will still be soft when you pull them out and only slightly browned, this gives them a gorgeous soft, gooey texture.
- Once you remove them from the oven, sprinkle each cookie lightly with a pinch of sea salt and allow to cool and set for a minimum of about 15 minutes (but longer if you can resist!)
These cookies are gluten free and flourless so they are quite fragile so bear that in mind when picking them up, but I promise they are just delicious!
I’m still trying to decide which are my favourite flavour so please let me know if you try these and which one you go for or which you prefer!